Wednesday, July 25, 2007

shadows on the sun

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I used to be way underground. Like mole man underground. All I listened to from like 1999 to like 2002 was the most obscure hip hop I could find. The more broke the label or oddly conceptualized the group the more into it I was. Too bad 75% of that shit will never withstand the test of time, for reals go back and listen to like Buck 65 or Amon Tobin or Jel and freakin Anticon and you tell me how that sounds today, yeah that's what I thought. However exceptions do exist, Atmoshpere came out of that time like retard popular. Slug's personal lyrics and exceptional flow made him stand out from many, and apparently the ladies love this guy. White rappers get alot of attention and play, and lets let that little fact just stand without discussing why (I will most definitely have a blue eyed soul post or white rapper post where I vomit up all my thoughts on white people gaining unnecessary fame in cultures that are perceived as not their own). Slug is a talented mc and Ant is an incredibly talented producer. Brother Ali also kind of emerged from Atmosphere's shadow, being part of their Rhymesayers collective and a resident of Atmosphere's home state Minnesota. Brother Ali is albino, and legally blind, and has a slew of personal issues that he addresses in his music with flair and sincerity. His last album The Undisputed Truth was pretty damned good, and totally overlooked by everyone. Honestly I may just not know the right people or something but am I the only person I know still trying to give it up for underground hip hop? Maybe it's because I'm so dismissive of back pack rappers, usually their mere presence insults me. Oh you don't know who Organized Konfusion or Young MC or Ultramagnetic MC's are but you'll front like you're the only ones trying honestly to keep him hop alive, blow.

Here's Slug and Ali battle rappin anyone they see fit off Brother Ali's album Shadows on the Sun, 'sing my fuckin chorus before I punch you in your face.' Ant has always been known for flipping blues samples into great beats...like this one.

Blah Blah Blah

This is off Ali's newest album, Ant's production which apparently I can't stop fucking talking about gets better every year. The Undisputed Truth is Ali honestly speaking of his wife leaving him/being a total train wreck, his son Faheem, and his new outlook on life, it's really refreshing to hear songs of positivity and love (read;GAY?!? I love WOMEN!) from Ali. He's so upfront and happy on this song, it's tits.

Ear to Ear

Listening to some of Ali's Shadows on the Sun made me think of KMD. Black Bastards is straight classic like violins so check it. I used to play this song in my busted ass 91 Nissan Sentra with speakers that had been blown out way before I was driving it, off of a sweet tape deck (my like 8th in that car), with the bass totally rattling the crap out of rear view mirror, it was awesome. 'one I'm done, casting shadows over the sun for fun'

Suspended _nim_tion

No comments: