Saturday, October 6, 2007

yesteryear


Jesus god, I turned 25 a few days ago on the 1st. What a mistake that was, and while I understand that as you get older the less meaning your birthdays contain, honestly this year was more boring than usual. Next year, for reals I'm going ape shit. mark your calenders peoples cause next year I'll need moral support in freaking spades. My ascension of 25 years of age had me pining for my younger days (the ones where I should have been talking to girls and studying, but nooo not me). I first started collecting records in Jr. High, and at the time Dj Shadow (who is oddly enough from my hometown of Davis) was some huge shit. I even volunteered at the local college radio station (where Shadow worked) and had a show with some of my friends for a little whiles. We played mostly Kraftwerk and Dr. Octagon but that was what was hot back then (actually Kraftwerk is still on the hots). Anyhow, Shadow was a big deal, and his then label Mo Wax served as a platform for me. Dj Krush, UNKLE, James Lavell, Attica Blues, Nightmares on Wax, and anything on NinjaTune were like godsends for me a the time. I used to go down to the station and take ever new down tempo and hip hop single they had and makes tapes (I had like 10 120min tapes totally full). However, that shit did not withstand the test of time. I would rather listen to Dj Tiesto (see; gigantic toolbox)than most of the old Mo Wax stuff. Too bad I spent so much money on that crap in my youth, seriously Armadillo records, $30.00 for Headz? Do you know how much money that is to a 15 year old virgin under the average height? Alot you fuckers, but to be fair, at the time it was probably a decision between X-Men comics and records. I still like Shadow today, and Mo Wax did put out a butt load of cool shit, and they supported Quannum/Soul Sides, and creepy little Dj Krush which gives them some extra points for faith in my book.

I've heard all sorts of stuff about Krush; he's ex yakuza, he's 5' tall, he drives an 14k gold lexus, none of which I would like to be disproved.

Dig This Vibe
Toh-Sui

Oddly enough I heard the Nightmares on Wax song that sampled Summer in the City by Quincy Jones before Passing Me by. Don't tell anyone. Their last album was actually very good and was less boring than usual.

Damn (Al Hirt is alot of places recently)
Night's Introlude (Ken didn't you make a video for this in DeCamp's class? Why are you so fuckin cool?)

U.N.K.L.E. is a play off the old spy tv show that Shadow and Lavelle were obsessed with as kids, while the musical project only spawned one actual album they did shit all over comps and down temp remixes for years.

Celestial Annihilation
Last Orgy III

I still like what Shadow puts out. Hip Hop heads constantly hate on his newer stuff (The Outsider and Private press), and the fact that he's giving non underground hyphy rappers some fucking dope beats. His explanation is that he wanted to stop doing what was expected of hip as a hip hop producer. He's doing whatever he wants cause he can so, blow.

Dark Days-Spoken For Mix
March of Death (not too great but Shadow and Zach De La Rocha could have been a big deal)
Broken Levee Blues
Seein Thangs (David Banner = really angry)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,
HIP-HOP is dead
So is Professor X
-your enemy

BerlingsBeard said...

post something new, you fucking loser.

ps- call me!